Early Signs of Termite Infestation in Ocean City, NJ; Swarming Termites, Mud Tubes, Wood Damage & More
There is no pest that homeowners fear quite like termites. These small pests can cause significant structural damage to your home if they are left to their devices. The key to avoiding thousands of dollars in property damage is to catch an infestation as early as possible. Ross Environmental Solutions is here to share some of the early signs that are present when you have a termite infestation brewing within the walls of your home.
Signs of Termites
When there is termite activity in the walls of your home, there are likely signs that they are there. The signs are sometimes subtle which makes it difficult to detect them. This is why it is so important to know what you are looking for. Following are the signs to be aware of:
- Swarming Termites: Swarming termites only happen a couple of times a year for a short period of time, but if you happen to see termites flying around your home, this is a sure sign that they are getting ready to set up their colony near your home. These swarmers are sent out to find a new place to build their nest.
- Discarded Termite Wings: When a termite colony is established, termites that were swarming will lose their wings. Sometimes, you may find these wings around your home. Anytime, you see insect wings in your home, you should be on high alert.
- Mud Tubes: Termites don’t actually live inside the home that they are feasting on. They actually live underground and travel to the home to get their meals. To keep themselves protected on the journey, they construct delicate mud tubes to travel in. These mud tubes are usually found on the foundation of your home but are unmistakable.
- Hollow Wood: As termites work at eating away on a structure, the wood will become hollow when you tap on it. If you ever find that any of the wood on your home has a hollow sound when you tap on it, you know you have some sort of wood destroying insect inside it.
- Sticking Windows & Doors: As the structure of your home becomes compromised by termite damage, one of the signs that may be present is a door or window that doesn’t usually stick when opened and closed, starts to. Usually you would want this sign accompanied by other signs since sticking windows and doors can be normal as well.
- Termite Wood Damage: It can be difficult to see damage inside the walls of your home, but if you have a deck outside that is making contact with the ground, it can be a common place to see termite damage.
Termite Inspections & Treatment
If you suspect that you have a termite problem in your home, you need to act quickly. The experts at Ross Environmental Solutions is here to inspect your home and get rid of any termite activity we find. Call us today!