How to Disinfect After a Rodent Infestation in Mays Landing, NJ; Wear a Mask & Gloves & More
Having rodents move themselves into your home is not ideal for any homeowner. Getting rid of them is more than likely a top priority. Once the rodents have been removed from the house, the homeowners are left with the job of cleaning up the mess that the rodents left behind. This can mean that you need to follow certain safety precautions to make sure you aren’t put in any danger during the clean up process. Ross Environmental Solutions is here to share some tips that will help you stay safe as you clean up after the mess.
How to Clean up after a Rodent Infestation
It is important that you take special care when cleaning up after rodents in your home. There are some airborne illnesses that can cause serious health problems for those that breathe them in. Following are some of the best ways that you can protect yourself and others during the cleaning process.
– Air It Out: Before you get started cleaning up your house, make sure there are some windows open that can allow the area to air out before cleaning starts. You want to give the space 30 minutes with an opened window to make sure it’s safe to go in the space.
– Wear a Mask & Gloves: You should never clean your home after rodents without gloves on your hands. While most people will remember to wear a dust mask to attempt to keep some of the particulates out of their lungs, they often forget they should be wearing gloves as well.
– Avoid Sweeping: While you may be tempted to sweep up mouse and rat droppings, you want to avoid doing this. Before you start to clean up any droppings, you need to spray it with a bleach mixture and let it soak for 10 minutes. After that has happened, mop up the area rather than sweep it to keep it from getting stirred up in the air. This goes for cleaning up any nesting material as well. You don’t want to sweep any of that up because it can cause health problems when the particulates are airborne.
– Shampoo & Steam Clean: You should always clean your bedding after a rodent infestation. Make sure you’re cleaning it on the hottest setting in your washing machine and dryer. You should also shampoo and steam clean your carpet during the cleaning process as well.
– Soak Dead Mice: If there are any dead mice in your home, you need to spray them with your bleach solution and let it soak for 10 minutes before disposing of the body. Throw it away in a plastic bag in a sealed trash container.
If you have rodents in your home, you can count on Ross Environmental Solutions to get rid of any rodent infestation you may be dealing with. Rodents have the potential to cause serious damage to your home and health. If you notice signs they are there, don’t hesitate to call our team of highly qualified professionals. Call us today!