Common Winter Pests in Atlantic City, NJ; How to Keep Rodents, Roaches & More Out of Your House
Just because we are experiencing the coldest months of the year, doesn’t mean that you can let your guard down when it comes to pest control. There are plenty of pests that continue to be active during the winter. Many of these pests can end up damaging your property if you don’t get control of the situation as soon as you see signs of their presence. Ross Environmental Solutions is here to talk about some of the most common pests that continue to be a problem even when it’s cold outside.
How to Keep Winter Pests Out of Your Home
If you are worried about pests getting into your home this winter, there are several steps you can take as a homeowner to keep them out to the best of your ability. Some tips for doing so include:
– Inspect the outside of your home and seal any cracks or holes, no matter how small they may seem. Mice and rats can squeeze through holes as small as a dime.
– Store your firewood at the very least, 20 feet away from your home to avoid cockroaches, termites, ants and rodents hiding in it and gaining access to your home.
– Install screens on your chimney.
– Fix any moisture problems that you may have in the basement, crawlspace, attic and other areas of your home.
– Keep your home clean and follow food storage safety procedures to ensure pests don’t have any access to food.
Common Overwintering Pests
There are certain pests that you can plan on seeing even when the weather is freezing outside. Some of those pests include the following:
– Rodents: Mice and rats are always going to be a problem in the winter because they are looking for somewhere warm to hide out during the cold weather. Your home offers three things they need; food, water and shelter. They can cause a significant amount of damage to your property if they get in and aren’t removed promptly.
– Spiders: Most spiders in your home don’t pose a threat but are only an annoyance. However, black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders are another story. Their bite can be dangerous, and they should be removed at all costs.
– Cockroaches: As long as there is food and water, you can have cockroach problems. They are nocturnal creatures, and you won’t likely see them during daylight hours unless you have a serious infestation on your hands. Keeping your home clean and clutter free as well as storing your food properly can go a long way in keeping cockroaches at bay.
Year Round Pest Management
It is important to note that while there are several things you can do to deter pests from your home, it is nearly impossible to completely remove the threat without the help of a pest control professional. At Ross Environmental Solutions, we will provide you with pest control services that won’t allow pests to gain access to your home during the winter. Call us today!